What is it?
Therapy designed to help couples look at their options whether or not to end the marriage.
Who is it for?
When one partner wants to preserve and repair the relationship and the other is leaning toward ending it, i.e. "mixed agenda" couples
How is it different from Couples Counseling?
- The goal is not to solve problems in the relationship but to determine whether the problems can be solved
- The process involves mainly individual conversations with each partner due to differing needs and agendas of each partner
- It is always short-term (1 to 5 sessions) but can evolve into other forms or relationship counseling
Goals of Discernment Counseling
- Clarity and confidence about next steps for the relationship
- A deeper understanding of what has happened to the relationship as well as each person's contribution to that status